Thursday, October 9, 2014

My village

Kaitlyn 1 

 Sometimes being a Mama is really hard work, especially being a mama to littles. I know this not only because I am a mama to littles, but because I am surrounded by a village of other mamas with littles as well. Some days you’ve picked up the same mess a dozen times, broken up one too many sibling squabbles, and if you hear just one more verse of “Let it Go” you will surely be sent right off the deep end. Of course not all days are like that at all. In fact, I’m willing to say that those days aren’t even near the majority. Being a mama has been the single most gratifying experience of my entire life. I am so thankful each day that I get to be part of this amazing adventure of raising two very independent and lovely souls. They have shown me so much about life, love, compassion, and helped me to view the world around me with a fresh perspective.

But I’m not going to lie to you; some days are just flat out crazy. I am so thankful that when it is one of those days, when I start to feel just a bit overwhelmed or outnumbered, I have my village to turn to. There is a post made occasionally (in an online group we created) simply titled “Why my 4 year old is crying”, and I have to say that is one of the single best things I think we've ever done for each other. It is an amazing blessing to have a place to realize that you are not the only one with a child who doesn’t understand why they can’t have a real pet dinosaur, refuses to eat anything all while despairing about how hungry they are, or is mad because you won’t let them ride their bike to town…alone. Have I mentioned we live 10 miles from town? Sigh. But it’s okay, because we aren’t alone.

Insanity, like misery, enjoys company it seems-and for that I am eternally thankful.

 Having a group of women who understand what you are going through because they are deep within the throes of it, or have been in it before, is truly a gift. We have rejoiced with each other, mourned with each other, and felt every emotion in between. I know that my journey through motherhood would not have been the same without them and I am forever changed not only as a mama, but as a person because of them.

 If I had to give a single piece of parenting advice to new mothers it would be this: Find your village

Whoever they are and wherever they are, find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment